Tuesday, November 8, 2005

" AT THE FEET OF DR. SKINNER " Repost

 When I was in grad school, in the early 70`s, B. F. Skinner was invited to address the Faculty and students at Temple University. Skinner was, and is, widely regarded as the greatest American Psychologist of the 20th century. The author of "Walden Two" and the discoverer of operant conditioning, Skinner was to appear in our largest auditorium and his address was sent by audio to the smaller rooms and even outside in front of the building. 

 

  By the time I was able to leave my grad duties that day, the Main auditorium and other rooms were packed! [behaviorism was a hot topic in America then, Psychologists dehumanizing people]. I had a faculty key to a back elevator that would take me to the back entrance of the Auditorium, but as I prepared to enter the elevator, a security guard stopped me "Sorry, that elevator`s off limits today."

 

 Thinking quickly, I told the guard that he better call his Captain immediately, because I had to check the audio equipment on the stage where Dr. Skinner was appearing.He was scheduled to speak in 10 minutes! The guard lookedme up and down and when I restated my need to get to the stage [and used his Captain`s name,'the clincher'] he said "Let`s Go!" and we got on the elevator and descended to the back entrance to the hall. He cleared a pass for me to the stage, for the steps were full of students and younger faculty. There I was on the stage with the President of Temple, the Dean of the Graduate School, and various dignitaries! 

 

 I stumbled around, pretending to check wires until the President had introduced the Dean and he had introduced Dr. Skinner. There was no place to go, no place to sit, so I said to myself,"What the hell", walked to the front of the stage, and sat down! Heard the whole lecture from there! And that`s how I ended up at the feet of Dr. Skinner.

 

V

Creativity is not merely the innocent spontaneity of our youth and childhood; it must also be married to the passion of the adult human being, which is a passion to live beyond one's death.
Rollo May

 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh Vince, this is a wonderful story!  I love your audacity and personal fortitude to forge forward despite obstacles!  That little fib you told was brilliant, I would have done the exact same thing to get so close the B.F. Skinner, who just happens to be one of my favorite authors.  Walden Two was my dream home and I always felt that I would do well in communal type of living, providing someone else cooked and I had my own bathroom.  

Wow, how lucky you were to sit on that stage and be able to listen to his every word as well as watch his body language.  Was he an eloquent speaker?  Was he tall, slim, wear a suit and tie?  What did he talk about?  Did you get to speak to him after the program was over?  Did you take any photographs?  How I envy that moment in your life.  As my daughter would say, Bravo Vince, Bravo!  

Hugs,

T
P.S.
I like it when you share stories about yourself with us.  I hope you share more. And I hope you answer all my questions above.

Anonymous said...

I love this....the whole idea of this.

Anonymous said...

LMAO! That's great!

Anonymous said...

LOL! Very cool trick! :)

Anonymous said...

I sure remember that early 70s obsession with Skinner.  I wonder, is he still held in such esteem?

Anonymous said...

LOL. You're quite the man, Vince.
Hugs,
Barb

Anonymous said...

Heh, heh, heh. I remember violently disliking his theories in my (undergrad) psych classes.  But I'm always amusted and amazed by stories of people getting away with a bluff like that.  A friend of mine once got backstage by claiming to be Chevy Chase's brother! - Karen

Anonymous said...

You be a sly fox Vince! Good thinking

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((hugs))))))))))))

Anonymous said...

Amazing, and a good chuckle at the very nature of psychology itself...they were duped! ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

A most interesting post.

Gabreael

http://journals.aol.com/gabreaelinfo/GabreaelsBodyMindSpiritJournal/

Anonymous said...

Glad you reposted...Wow Skinner...Hmm kinda familiar with him(being a Behaviorist and all, lol) This is a great entry!!!!!
I am envious I must say!

Jodi

Anonymous said...

That's a great story!  Ah, yes, Skinner...with the mile-high forehead.  Well, behaviorism may have fallen into disrespect, but it's still alive and well on the internet dating circuit.  It amuses me no end that the whole "you've got mail", light-blinking thing is simply an irregular schedule of reinforcement...the same principle behind the slot machines at Vegas...and the most difficult schedule to end, because there's always the "possibility" of a reward.  We owe more to Skinner than we realize...

:)

Judi

Anonymous said...

What a fun story, Vince!  I guess you should count yourself lucky you didn't end up in a Skinner box pressing a little lever!

When I received my first bachelor's degree, the recipient of the honorary Ph.D. at that ceremony was none other than the revered Konrad Lorenz, who appeared with his leonine head haloed by a a ruff of thick white hair.  As a callow law student (at the time), I had no idea who he was.  What a waste of a moment in the presence of greatness!

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

I've read B.F. Skinner and envy the humble position you held. I can't say I always agreed with him but I have always respected him.
Be well,
Dianna

Anonymous said...

You rascal!  I love that:  pretending to fool around with the wires.  That was some creative thinking!