Saturday, April 23, 2005

Theresarrt`s Questions # 2

Theresarrt`s Questions;    A reply to question #2 !!

Theresarrt http://journals.aol.com/theresarrt7/TheresaWilliams-author/entries/740  answered her queries so beautifully that she gave me the courage to comment, asking her to question me. Her queries sre so thought provoking that I can`t answer the five in one post. In this post, I`ll try to reply to #2 !

2.  In your opinion, what are the particular challenges humanity faces in these times in terms of finding and living a fulfilling life?

Theresa, I wrote this entry on October 31, 2004. Russell was commenting on the possibility that the United States could break the historical cycle. Fifty years after his writing, the possibility is very bleak!

 

  A COMMENTARY ON LIBERALISM

  My journal has been in existence for more than a year and I have never written an entry remotely political. However, in listening to the barrage of advertising on radio and television, from local to regional to national, I am again reminded of one point that rankles me. That is, the acceptance of the word "Liberal" as defining something that is negative and, somehow, to be avoided like Communism or Nazism.  

 I would like to quote from the Introductory to "The History of Western Philosophy" by the great English Philosopher Bertrand Russell. [pg. xxiii, Introductory]  

 

   "In general, important civilizations start with a rigid and superstitious system, gradually relaxed, and leading, at a certain stage, to a period of brilliant genius, while the good of the old tradition remains and the evil inherent in its dissolution has not yet developed. But, as the evil unfolds, it leads to anarchy, thence, inevitably, to a new tyranny, producing a new synthesis secured by a new system of dogma. The doctrine of liberalism is an attempt to escape from this endless oscillation. The essence of liberalism is an attempt to secure a social order not based on irrational dogma, and insuring stability without involving more restraints than are necessary for the preservation of the community. Whether this attempt can succeed only the future can determine." 

V

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Preservation of the community"  seems there is a general question on "which" community? I know it leads to the orginal declaration, that had to be the period of brilliant genius, but views on capturing that utopia are at odd with each other in US. Giving the rights of independence, values are defined by individuality and only vaguely does society cooperate with a norm.  Free will appears somewhat dangerous, but that is what we base our independence.  I do consider myself liberal and as a personal opinion, I have seen no other as dogmatic as Bush.  But, even as a liberal, I see no firm conclusion that we are all "pro-people over pro-personal wealth."  

Anonymous said...

Oh Bertrand Russell, what a heroic man.  I've used parts of his book about the War Crimes Tribunal (Vietnam War) in my classes for years.  I am a little fearful also of a slide towards anarchy.  People are losing their foothold on what it means to live a meaningful life.  

Anonymous said...

I perceive that there is an ebb and flow when it comes to growth. My hope is that we are in merely an ebb. Hopefully, a short term one at that. :-) ---Robbie