Friday, June 4, 2004

Scalzi`s Weekend assignment

In response to Scalzi`s weekend assignment, I`m presenting the synopsis to the greatest book that I`ve ever read, and one that i very much identified with at the time. Bellow is, for me, the greatest living writer of English fiction.

 

 

HERZOG     SAUL BELLOW

Winner of the National Book Award when it was first published in 1964, Herzog traces five days in the life of a failed academic whose wife has recently left him for his best friend. Through the device of letter writing, Herzog movingly portrays both the internal life of its eponymous hero and the complexity of modern consciousness.

Like the protagonists of most of Bellow's novels—Dangling Man, The Victim, Seize the Day, Henderson the Rain King, etc.—Herzog is a man seeking balance, trying to regain a foothold on his life. Thrown out of his ex-wife's house, he retreats to his abandoned home in Ludeyville, a remote village in the Berkshire mountains to which Herzog had previously moved his wife and friends. Here amid the dust and vermin of the disused house, Herzog begins scribbling letters to family, friends, lovers, colleagues, enemies, dead philosophers, ex- Presidents, to anyone with whom he feels compelled to set the record straight. The letters, we learn, are never sent. They are a means to cure himself of the immense psychic strain of his failed second marriage, a method by which he can recognize truths that will free him to love others and to learn to abide with the knowledge of death. In order to do so he must confront the fact that he has been a bad husband, a loving but poor father, an ungrateful child, a distant brother, an egoist to friends, and an apathetic citizen.

As Herzog obsessively reviews the evidence of Madeleine's and Gersbach's affair, we piece together the circumstances of Herzog's recent past: how Madeleine ached to leave their Emersonian life in the Berkshires, how she grew fond of the flamboyant and masculine Valentine Gersbach, how, after their marriage dissolved in Chicago, Herzog took his melancholy to Europe, and how he returned to interrogate each and every one of their friends about Madeleine's adultery. These recollections impugn not only Madeleine andGersbach, but, more significantly, they impugn Herzog for overvaluing his own suffering. At one lucid point, he borrows a line from Shelley to express the relative meaninglessness of his suffering: "I fall upon the thorns of life, I bleed. And then? I fall upon the thorns of life, I bleed. And what next?" His sense of injury may be great but what of the pain felt by people like his childhood friend Nachman whose wife has lapsed into insanity? What of the pain of Madeleine's mother Tennie who is left by her playboy ex-husband and her inattentive daughter to age alone? Herzog also asks what the suffering of a cuckolded man is worth in relation to the collective sufferings of societies living in the shadow of Hiroshima and the Holocaust? As a former scholar of Romanticism, Herzog is compelled to weigh serious questions of culture and civilization. Thinking of the world wars, perhaps too of America's involvement in Vietnam and its battles over racism, Herzog wryly revises De Tocqueville's prediction that modern democracies would produce less crime but more private vice to "less private crime, more collective crime." The betrayal he has experienced at the hands of friends and lovers is mirrored by the betrayal he feels at the hands of modern American society where "people are dying...for lack of something real to carry home when day is done." While the garbled, fragmentary letters often display the clashing of personal and public crises; for Herzog the project to restore oneself and the project to restore civilization are really one. It is a Romantic idea that finds eloquent expression in Blake whose work is repeatedly invoked by Herzog.

Crucial to the restoration of American culture, Herzog believes, is a condemnation of the "wasteland outlook." Referring to an intellectual tradition based on the bleak diagnoses of modern civilization by Nietzsche, T. S. Eliot, Spengler, Heidegger and other existentialist philosophers, Herzog laments the wasteland outlook as "the full crisis of dissolution...the filthy moment...when moral feeling dies, conscience disintegrates, and respect for liberty, law, public decency, all the rest, collapses in cowardice, decadence, blood." Real transcendence, according to the wasteland outlook, is only possible in the immoral, "gratuitous" act. In opposition to this philosophy, Herzog offers the wisdom of Blake: "Man liveth not by self alone but in his brother's face...Each shall behold the Eternal Father and love and joy abound." Bellow dramatizes, with comedic effect, these ideas in the "murder" scene. Pistol wielding Herzog realizes, as he peers through Madeleine's bathroom window and sees his wife's lover bathing his own daughter, that the taking or the saving of life has meaning. He resists the temptations of immoralism, and through this act of moral will Herzog manages to regain his balance. That Herzog transcends his personal hurt while being charged at the police station is both ironic and deeply affecting. Now with a "tranquil fullness of heart" he can compose letters of a different character. He reaches out in love to join the human race, writing to his dead mother, to congratulate a colleague on a recent book, to Nietzsche to resolve his mixture of admiration and distrust, to God to affirm his will to live, and to himself in which he rises to a state of rapture: "Something produces intensity, a holy feeling, as oranges produce orange, as grass green." In the end, with "not a single word" left to say, Herzog is restored to himself.

Herzog is primarily a novel of redemption. For all of its innovative techniques and brilliant comedy, it tells one of the oldest of stories. Like the Divine Comedy or the dark night of the soul of St. John of the Cross, it progresses from darkness to light, from ignorance to enlightenment. Today it is still considered one of the greatest literary expressions of postwar America.

 

Synopsis courtesy of Penguin Reader`s Guide

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm embarassed to say that I've never read anything by Saul Bellow.  After this synopsis, I promise you that will change very, very soon. I'd already planned on hitting the library today.

Anonymous said...

I love this book, too.

Anonymous said...

hey vince.  i am blown away by this post on Herzog, a book i have never read.  how many times have you read this book?  it sounds a little deeper than my capability, but i may just give it a try.  in what way does this book tell us more about you?  how do you identify with aspects of this story or character?  or, do you?

Anonymous said...

Great Book!  No question about that!  
But answer the question:  how does it describe Vincent?  Are you redeemed?

~~mumsy, who is picking fights all over the place today.

Anonymous said...

Vince, uh oh, looks like you already answered the question some of us had on this one. No? Me, niether,never heard of Saul, I'll get it and some others he wrote. I love to read even Ketchup labels. TKS for the book report.I can't imagine it being the best of all books though, will find out.

Anonymous said...

Hi, commenters....After reading the comments, I am ashamed to admit that the attribution line for the synopsis was never posted! Ooops! As now posted, it is from Penguin Reader`s Guide. I would never be able to write such a beautiful Book Review.
V

Anonymous said...

When I first read Herzog, I was struggling with the end of an intimate relationship and at the same time, I was deeply trying to understand existential philosophy.
The convergence of my pain & thirst for knowledge and my reading of this brilliant book, dwelling intimately with the same pain and philosophical questions, affected me as no book of fiction has since.
V

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of this book but this has definitely sold me that I must read it. You really didn't reveal how it is you in the pages of this book. I saw your comment but it would be nice to know more. I guess I am too nosey. :-) ---Robbie

Anonymous said...

After 18 years in a marriage where I wasn't allowed to read and when I did read it had to be light and FAST reading where I wouldn't get caught reading.  Well, what I'm saying is I haven't read any worthy novals in many years.  After reading this entry I think it's time to read something like this.  Thank you for sharing this with us.

Monica

Anonymous said...

This book does sound interesting in the subject given, but it's your take on it that makes me curious enough to put on my list to read.
Carol

Anonymous said...

You make this book sound good!  I haven't had the pleasure of reading it yet although it was recommended to me so many times.  Maybe I wasn't ready then.
Thanx for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Damn good book! Great choice Vince! :-)

Anonymous said...

I disagree--you CAN (and have) write (written) beautiful book reviews!  And thanks for answering the question.  I am sure I read this book.  I must revisit it, however.  You're the best, V!

~~mumsy

Anonymous said...

Herzog was recommended to me at one time and I've always meant to pick up a copy of it. After reading this composition, I may do it.  It sounds really, really good.

Great weekend assignment, sir.  :)

Anonymous said...

Hi it's Anita,

First off, I want to thank you for visiting my journal and you are always welcome there.  I never read this book and you make it sound so interesting.  I will definitely read this very soon.  I can tell it really captured your interest.

Anita

Anonymous said...

thanks for your sympathy re:beaurocrats. at least this presenter was honest. he said, "I have one hour of material to give you in 16 hours." deadly stuff. i assume you know all about continuing education credits. what field are you in? i like opera, too, but i am no afficionado. i prefer in fact not understanding the words because the meaning distracts from the beauty of the voices: what splendid sounds from doomed animals. i would like to know more about you.

Anonymous said...

complex, sounds like something worth reading.  His introspection may teach me something about myself.

Anonymous said...

yep, this sounds like a vince book -

i remember trying to get through Bellow's Humboldt's Gift in High School - i was too young to appreciate him I guess..

Anonymous said...

I have not read any of Bellow's novels; at least I don't remember reading any.  I wish I had started a book journal/log a long time ago.  Who knows how many books have slipped through the cracks of my memory all these years.

Thanks for providing us this synopsis.  It does sound like an excellent read.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning V,
 Nice entry, I really enjoy reading it. I just stopped by to say 'hello' and to thank you for visiting my journal and for your short but sweet messages.. Thanks! Have a nice day and off I go to work... :::Waving bye-bye (\รด/) <--leaving u an angel... Jessie

Anonymous said...

Wierd.
i have never heard of this book.  But yet, the word Herzog, looks familar...hmm.
It  looks like a super great book for someone overcoming adversity.  I love that quote "Something prouduces intensity, a holy feeling, as oranges produce orange, as grass green"  superb!

Anonymous said...

I haven't read a great book in months. Next time I'm at the book store, I'll check it out.

Anonymous said...

Hello Vince! Just stopping by to read. I'm finally settled in for the most part after my move. This is so interesting. I love the topics you put in your journal. I hope to have a new journal soon. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Vince. I'm long overdue in returning the favor after your leaving supportive comments in my journal. I chose this entry because of its topic. I haven't read Herzog in 20 years, but it remains a favorite, and one scene haunts me to this day.
Herzog is outside his fomer home, cold and wet. He watches through the window as his wife's new lover (husband?) bathes and dries Herzog's own daughter. It is one of the most gut-wrenching scenes of deperation and isolation in fiction. Do you remember it?  Paul