Friday, June 11, 2004

REPOST ENTRY OF JANUARY 23, 2004

My Son And The Tigers


Every winter,in January or february,on a weekday,my son and i would play hooky and go to the philadelphia zoo. We would pick a day when few visitors would be expected and arrive early . On one of these days,when my son was about 8, we entered a nearly empty zoo. It was very cold and threatening to snow and all of the animals were indoors. Zoo workers were huddled inside drinking coffee,warming,and as we walked up the main road [past the Reptile House] my son started tugging my hand " Dad, the Tigers! Let`s go to the Tiger House!" Something we shared ,the tigers were our favorite animals.We circled to the right and entered the Tiger House.The leopards and pumas always had access to the outdoors and were always pacing in and out. Each of these smaller cats was caged singly and i always wondered if all of their pacing was due to the fact that their only contact with other animals was when they and their neighbors had both paced  to their outside cages. As I was brooding over this,my son Sean kept urging me cage to cage, for the tigers were at the end of the building. Finally we arrived at the last lonely but hot wired leopard,turned the corner ,and there they were! In the first cage was The Boss,an elderly but still regal male who was older than Sean and was Sean`s favorite."Good Morning,Samson",he said,and strained to get closer.Excitedly,he ran down past the cages,trying to take them all in, while I pondered Samson and how it is to get old,and Death.[sounds dumb and obsessive ; I was a Psych Grad student and was dumb and obsessive!]Pondering was interrupted by Sean`s yells..."Dad, they`re here! Dad, they`re here!"It was the three baby tiger cubs on their very first week of display. The cubs stopped playing and stared at Sean,and Sean did an amazing thing! He moved out of their view to the left, and they gathered to that side of the cage.As he moved back in front of them, he said "peek-a-boo" and the three cubs jumped and started prancing. For the next 15 minutes, I just stood there laughing and eventually crying at the antics of the four cubs [3 tiger and 1 human].A Wonderful Time!

Saw Gregg`s Great repost... Here`s one of mine!!

Vince

Gregg!! THANKS FOR THE TERRIFIC GRAPHIC!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't remember this entry. But it's very very sweet. I could visualize the whole thing. A precious memory.

Anonymous said...

Thats really a wonderful story full of good memories for you.  Its sounds like it was all worth going out on such a cold day.  Shane and I were able to pet a tiger cub a while back, quite an experiance.  I posted a pic a few entries back.  Have a good weekend Vince....~lila~

Anonymous said...

Vince , that is just magic.

Anonymous said...

ah vince - good pick - i love this experience!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful memory...you, your son, and the tigers.  Great story, Sir V.  

Anonymous said...

Wow,  I bet that was something else!!! ~Holly

Anonymous said...

Great re-pick~   Aren;t kids the greatest ? Even without the tigers !!!
Stacy

Anonymous said...

This is a rerun for you, but a first time for me!  Nice memory.  I love the zoo but haven't been to one in a long while.

Anonymous said...

Ooooo! I'll be right back Vince! Actually, it might take me about a half-hour or so. But I'm about to cook up a nice graphic for you! The title of this entry gave me an idea! :-) Be back in a bit to catch up!

Anonymous said...

I actually don't think I caught this the first go-round either! So you majored in psych did you? And minored in what? Everything else? LOL! It's funny though. Sometimes I find myself looking at animals -- both in cages and the ones skirting about outside and my mind takes off on wild tangents as well. Your son playing peek-a-boo with the cubs is hysterical! :-)

Anonymous said...

this is a great entry-- but I immediately thought of your entry on your cat that you lost recently.  It had to be my favorite "pet post" ever.  Ever.


~mumsy

Anonymous said...

Rock on Vince! Looks FABU if I do say so myself! LOL! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Baby animals are so trusting... so much different from the adult versions.  They love to play just like human children.  Wonderful.  ::smile::  What a great story, Vince. Great Re-Run entry.  :D

Anonymous said...

Great entry! I didn't get to read it the first go round. Glad you did a re-post.
:-) ---Robbie

Anonymous said...

oedipus sends his regards. he sat in my lap whie i read this entry. he sniffed with disdain at the photo. i know what he thinks. he is the fierce predator-now asleep on the floor with his belly up and quite distended from wet and dry food.
why cant i pull anything up on your website?
who are your favorite authors?

Anonymous said...

This was one of my favorites the first go-round.  Think its one of the only where you share a "kid" story.  Your audience clamors, "MORE, MORE!!"

Anonymous said...

What a great story. Just loved it. I happen to be a person who when last at the zoo spent an hour staring at a Bengal Tiger, so I can appreciate your son's desire but how sweet that they recognized his joy concerning them too. : )

Anonymous said...

What an adorable entry of an especially exciting excursion.  Sean probably still remembers this vividly, yes?  I won't be surprised if he does.  

Anonymous said...

that's an awesome story, and what a great memory to keep
with you both!  thanks for sharing!
Phinney

Anonymous said...

Super entry-wonderful graphic!! _rRose

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful story, Vince! This is one of the best parts of childhood. :) I love the antics of children, their discovery, imagination, and fun. Nice graphic!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful memory!  HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, V!  

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful memory!  HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, V!  

Anonymous said...

I missed this one and just love it...... We volunteer at the National Zoo, Virginia and I, and it is a wonderful place to be.Thanks so much for sharing, Vince..... Have a great day. judi